Naturopathic Update on Coronavirus
It is important to understand the implications for your health and wellbeing with the recent outbreak of Coronavirus. There is a lot of misinformation about how it is spread and what it is.
Transmission of Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
Coronavirus is spread via direct contact. Anyone who has recently returned from China or has been close to infected areas should monitor themselves for symptoms of respiratory ailments for 14 days and seek medical advice from your GP or hospital as soon as possible.
How Coronavirus is spread:
- close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
- rarely, is fecal contamination a mode of transmission
Prevention of Coronavirus
The World Naturopathic Federation has some very good advice which may be beneficial in preventing the risk of most infections.
- Hygiene: Wash your hands often with soap and water. Always wash your hands before preparing food and before eating. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cough hygiene: Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, it is better to cough into your shirt sleeve; not your hands and always wash your hands after coughing or sneezing.
- Food hygiene: Ensure that you use a different cutting board for meat and vegetables. Clean your cutting boards well. Avoid sharing water, food, or products (glasses, cutlery, hygiene products) with someone who has a respiratory infection.
- Clean surfaces: Whether grocery shopping, flying or exposed to something new, clean and disinfect all objects and surfaces that you touch.
- Avoidance: Avoid close contact with people who are sick. If you have a cold or flu stay home to limit your risk of spreading the infection to others and to support the healing process. Avoid large crowds when the risk is high. If you choose to wear a mask, choose a mask that covers both your nose and mouth – and change it frequently.
Naturopathic Principles for Health Promotion
If you have come into contact with Coronavirus please do not visit your naturopath – it is best you head straight to the hospital after calling the health department.
The foundations of naturopathic treatment are so important in health promotion – which may help you stay well and healthy.
- Stay hydrated: Ensure adequate hydration, especially if there are signs of dehydration to assist the body in fighting infections.
- Clean balanced diet: Limit known food intolerances; ensure balanced nutrition including lean protein, vegetables and whole grains; and limit foods that contribute to mucous (such as excess bread, dairy, yeast and bananas). Limit processed food and foods high in salt and sugar.
- Spices: Many warming spices have anti-microbial and anti-viral properties. Spices such as garlic, ginger, thyme, oregano and sage are easily added to teas and food dishes.
- Sleep: Ensure adequate sleep. When you have symptoms of a cold or flu it is common to require more sleep.
- Stress Management: Reduce and manage stress. Positive relationships are associated with a stronger immunity and overall health.
- Indoor pollutants: Address indoor pollutants such as mould as they can worsen lung-related illnesses.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke can increase your susceptibility of lung-related illnesses.
- Exercise: Moderate exercise enhances immune function and lowers the risk of respiratory infections. Intensive exercise can suppress normal immune reactions and is best avoided if unwell.
I hope this helps –